Spotlight

UBC Geography’s Statement of Solidarity with the Muslim Community (February 6, 2017)

In light of the January 29th massacre at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec, as well as the Trump Administration’s executive order banning people from many Muslim-majority nations from travelling to the US, the Department of Geography reaffirms our commitment to fostering an inclusive and safe environment that provides students, faculty, and staff with the […]

UBC Geography in new partnership with University of Central Asia (UCA) (January 30, 2017)

UBC, through its departments Geography and Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences (EOAS), entered into an educational partnership to help the University of Central Asia with the curriculum design of an undergraduate Earth and Environmental Sciences Programme.

New Book from Jessica Dempsey: Enterprising Nature (January 26, 2017)

Jessica Dempsey (Assistant Professor, UBC Geography) has just published her first book, in the Antipode book series with Wiley-Blackwell. Enterprising Nature tracks the rise of a powerful idea in global biodiversity conservation.  Many ecologists, bureaucrats, and activists now believe that the only way to slow the decimation of nonhuman life on earth is to […]

What is Geography?
with Dr. Juanita Sundberg
(October 28, 2016)

This interview was conducted as part of a student led initiative to identify and foster a sense of geographic identify in our department. Interview of Dr. Juanita Sundberg conducted by Max Ritts and Lucy MacKenzie, transcribed by Lucy MacKenzie.    What is your current research topic? At the moment I am working on a project […]

What is Geography?
with Dr. Marwan Hassan
(October 19, 2016)

This interview was conducted as part of a student led initiative to identify and foster a sense of geographic identify in our department. Interview of Dr. Marwan Hassan conducted and transcribed by Kelsey Everard.   Describe your current research topic My research topic is in fluvial geomorphology. I work mostly on channel stability, sediment transport, […]

Alumnus John Thistle’s Scholarly Publishing Recognized (September 25, 2016)

UBC Geography alumnus John Thistle (PhD 2009) published his first book, Resettling the Range: Animals, Ecologies, and Human Communities in Early British Columbia in 2015. The book explores the ecology and history of BC interior’s grasslands and the people who lived there in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Since its publication, the […]

Craig A. Jones Wins 2016 Guggenheim Dissertation Award (June 20, 2016)

Congratulations to PhD Candidate, Craig A. Jones, for winning The Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation Dissertation Fellowship this year. Craig’s dissertation is on The war lawyers: US, Israel and the spaces of targeting.

Craig A. Jones Wins 2016 Western Regional 3MT Competition (May 2, 2016)

Congratulations to PhD Candidate, Craig A. Jones, for winning the Western Regional 3 Minute Thesis Competition this year! Craig presented “The War Lawyers” on April 29th at UBC Okanagan campus. Craig will now move onto the National 3 Minute Thesis Competition where he will compete against 11 other finalists.

Simon Donner, Climate Action Plan 2020 (February 22, 2016)

Congratulations Simon Donner for having one of the winning submissions of UBC Campus + Community Planning’s Climate Action Plan 2020‘s call for ideas. His idea is to “decrease GHG emissions from university related air travel. UBC would collect baseline data on air travel emissions from business and research-related travel and use this to create a university […]

What does it mean to be a Geographer? (January 27, 2016)

In January 2016, PhD Students, Leonora King and Marc Tadaki hosted the first ever graduate student “workshop to discuss human and physical geographical identity”. An interesting and unique initiative, I read the blog post that accompanied the workshop invitation which highlighted the difficult question of what it means to be a geographer, especially in a […]

Jamie Peck Named Highly Cited Researcher in 2015 (January 18, 2016)

Congratulations Professor Jamie Peck who features in the latest Thomson Reuters “Highly Cited” listing for the social sciences, which measures the 1% most cited researchers in the world by subject field! Across Canada, there are thirteen social scientists on the 2015 list.

Jamie Peck Paper Ranked 4th Most Cited in Sociology Journals (January 11, 2016)

Congratulations to Jamie Peck, whose paper (in collaboration with Neil Brenner and Nik Theodore), “Variegated neoliberalization: geographies, modalities, pathways” in Global Networks was ranked the 4th most cited paper in Sociology Journals from 2010-2014!

Featured Geographer: Siobhan McPhee (November 27, 2015)

Originally from: Tough question – my mother was Irish, my father Canadian but I grew up in Africa and the Middle East. Interested in Geography because: It gives me the freedom to try and understand our complex world without putting restraints on my research or creativity. Years at UBC: Two and a half Reason for […]

Dan Moore Awarded the Meritorious Achievement Award (APEGBC) (November 3, 2015)

Congratulations Dan Moore who has been awarded the Meritorious Achievement Award by the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (APEGBC).

Siobhán McPhee’s Geographical Exploration (October 26, 2015)

It’s probably safe to assume that Siobhán McPhee’s first international move – to Africa at age three – primed her for her current role as professor in the Geography department and Vantage College. Born in Vancouver, Siobhán spent most of her childhood in Africa and later the Middle East. It was during this time her […]

Michelle Daigle, New Postdoctoral Research Fellow (October 21, 2015)

Welcome Dr. Michelle Daigle, a new Postdoctoral Research Fellow at UBC Geography beginning October 2015! Dr. Daigle is a member of the Cree nation (Constance Lake First Nation) and has over 10 years of experience as a community-based researcher and educator with Indigenous communities in Canada and the U.S. She wants to bring Geography into […]

Arctic Dreaming – A field season on Ellesmere Island (October 21, 2015)

By Katriina O’Kane, MSc Student Standing on the sea ice, Danielle, Esther, and Cassandra are taking pictures of the Twin Otter airplane that just dropped us here. The plane is already in the distance now, getting ready to take off from the flat frozen ocean. Beside the women is a pile of boxes – various […]

Joey Lee Awarded Mozilla Fellowship for Science (October 13, 2015)

Congratulations to MSc Student Joey Lee who has won a Mozilla Fellowship for Science! He is one of only four fellows this year, chosen from a competitive group of 130 people. In his words: “As a Mozilla Science Fellow I will be working within the UBC community to help promote open science, open research, and in […]

Dan Cohen: The Mechanisms Behind Detroit Metro School Markets (September 23, 2015)

Watch the short film below by Detroit filmmaker/activist, Kate Levy, with Geography PhD Candidate Dan Cohen discussing the Detroit metro school markets.

Welcome New Geography Graduate Students (September 2, 2015)

Emily Acheson Program: PhD Supervisor: Brian Klinkenberg Hometown: Mississauga, ON “I grew up in Mississauga, Ontario and moved to Vancouver to pursue my PhD in Geography with Dr. Brian Klinkenberg. I’ve always enjoyed learning about animal ecology, but became particularly fascinated with parasites during my undergraduate degree at the University of Toronto. I completed my […]